Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An assortment today

I know "The Secret Life of Bees" was published at least 10 years ago but I was able to read it this weekend and highly recommend it. Because of this book, I decided to finally finish my "English Cottage Sampler" (from Chessie N Me) that I started a few years ago and make some changes to it.

My name means Queen Bee and since there is a queen prominently pictured on this piece I decided to stitch a huge bee over her head. I also added a few things to her empty hands as I didn't like her standing there with elbows bent holding nothing so I added a bird and a flower. Instead of "E" for "Elizabeth" underneath the crown I put the initials of my husband and children. And if you look closely, you will noticed I made a big mistake and stitched 3 r's in the second Merrily of the verse. It makes me laugh to look at it so it is staying. To be honest, the main reason it is staying is I HATE frogging over one!

This next piece is from The Floss Box
Her designs remind me somewhat of the old Birds of a Feather designs which I have always loved. She also sells them on Etsy.


marly said...

Both are really sweet. Thanks for the direction to the Floss Box. New to me!

Melissa said...

Your English Cottage sampler looks wonderful. I liked the changes you added. I too liked the book even if it was quite awhile ago.

So I'm not the only one who thinks the Floss Box is so reminiscent of BOAF. I need to go visit the site again! Your piece looks really cute!

Lynn said...

I have this book in my collection but have yet to read it. I'll get to it eventually, lol!
I think you should just tell everyone that the extra R is the olde English spelling of the word. It probably wouldn't be too far off!
Both finishes looks great!

Chris said...

Beautiful stitching. I love both designs. Those changes that we make, make the stitched pieces our own :)

Katrina said...

Sweet pieces!!!! Love them both :-).

Kat said...

How did you sneak back into blogging without me noticing? Happy to "see" you back, and thanks for the Easter chart - Lady Baa Baa - too funny!


Kay said...

The santa piece is so cute. I just finished Lady Baa Baa for a friend who collects sheep. I made it into a pincushion for her.

Deborah said...

Thank you everyone! Would love to see your pincushion Kay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails